Sunday, December 05, 2004

True Happiness

In this material world of ours, how illusive can happiness be?? We are all grubbing around after worldly gain, prestige, pomp and circumstance. And yet where do we truly find "happiness"? We feel that if only we can just make it to the next milepost of our growth as a citizen, which has been dictated by souless corporations and their propaganda, then nirvana will be ours. How sad! And if money is not our immediate goal, then it must be to have everlasting physical beauty, and if the good Creator has not blessed us well enough in that department, then we can take matters into our own and our surgeons hands and carve away. Enough! If we turn to the Sacred Writings of the great font of Truth, Universal and Everlasting we find this remedy for our malaise:

"Joy comes from God. Who could live and could breathe if the joy of Brahman filled not the universal? for from joy, all beings have come, by joy they all live, and unto joy they all return."

Hinduism: from the Taitriya Upanishad

"Where there is the Infinite, there is joy. There is no joy in the finite. Only in the Infinite, there is joy; know the nature of the infinite.

Hinduism: from the Chandogya Upanishad

"Verily I am Thy servant, O my God......I have arrived at Thy gate, seeking Thy shelter. I have found no contentment save in Thy love, no exultation except in Thy remembrance, no eagerness but in obedience to Thee, no joy save in Thy nearness......"

Selections from the Writings of the Bab, pp.174-175

"Health is the supreme possession. Contentment is the supreme wealth. A trustworthy friend is the supreme relation. Nirvana is the supreme happiness."

Buddhism: Dhammapada, v.204

"If ye keep My commandments, ye shall abide in My love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in His love. These things have I spoken unto you, that My joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full."

Christianity (Jesus Christ): The New Testament, John 15:10-11

"I have set the Lord always before me: because He is at my right hand, I shall not be moved. Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoiceth: my flesh also shall rest in hope. .....Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in Thy presence is fulness of joy: at Thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore."
Judaism: The Old Testament: Psalm 16:8-11

"O Son of Spirit! Ask not of Me that which We desire not for thee, then be content with what We have ordained for thy sake, for this is that which profiteth thee, if therewith thou dost content thyself."
Abdu'l-Baha, Paris Talks, p.1

"Happy is the soul that shall forget his own good, and like the chosen ones of God, vie with his fellows in service to the good of all....."

Abdu'l-Baha, The Secret of Divine Civilization

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home