Friday, December 17, 2004

Call to Prayer

"O Son of Being! Thy heart is My home; sanctify if for My descent. Thy spirit is My place of revelation; cleanse it for my Manifestation. " The Hidden Words of Baha'u'llah

It seems as though cleansing our hearts for the Creator to take up residence there requires two things: the independent investigation of Truth, and the casting out from the heart all attachment to the material world and one's own ego. These are weighty ideas which will require some careful consideration.

"The religions brought to mankind by a succession of spiritual luminaries have been the primary link between humanity and that ultimate reality, and have galvanized and refined mankind's capacity to achieve spiritual success together with social progress." The Promise of World Peace, by The Universal House of Justice

This next bit of wisdom is taken from "The Early Quakers and the Doctrine of Authority", by Dean Freiday:

"Both Scripture and some classical philosophy shared the view that the ultimate reference of all authority is to God. Man's existence is finite. Societies pass away. Even a global cataclysm is possible. Only God is infinite..........God is also truth and justice and concerned with the becoming of man - his fulfillment as a human being, a new creation. This is the good news for modern man as well as of old. Religious activity seeks to establish communication with God. The purpose, aside from sheer devotion and enjoyment of His love, is the right ordering of personal values i.e., man's salvation - both material and spiritual." I would like to think that this salvation is for individuals and for all of mankind as well.

A couple more calls to prayer to help us find that place of "independent investigation of truth".

"How goodly are your tents, O Jacob, our dwelling places, O Israel. As for me, through Your abundant kindness I will enter Your House; I will prostrate myself toward Your Holy Sanctuary in awe of You. O God, I love the house wherein You dwellAnd the place where Your glory resides. I shall prostrate myself and bow,I shall kneel before God, my Maker. As for me, may my prayer to You, God, Be at an opportune time; O God, in Your abundant kindness, Answer me with the truth of Your salvation." -Judaism (recited upon entering the synagogue)-

"Intone, O My servant, the verses of God that have been received by thee, as intoned by them who have drawn nigh unto Him, that the sweetness of thy melody may kindle thine own soul, and attract the hearts of all men. Whoso reciteth, in the privacy of his chamber, the verses revealed by God, the scattering angels of the Almightyshall scatter abroad the fragrance of the words uttered by his mouth, and shall cause the heart of every righteous man to throb. Though he may, at first, remain unaware of its effect, yet the virtueof the grace vouchsafed unto him must needs sooner or later exercise its influence upon his soul. Thus have the mysteries of the Revelation of God been decreed by virtue of the Will of Him Who is the Source of power and wisdom. " - Bahai Faith -

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home